Friday 3 April 2015

Minecraft cake

My eldest son turned 9 last July. Like so many other kids he is absolutely addicted to Minecraft. Not only does he play the game but he also watches videos of other people playing the game, someone by the name of Stampy Longnose usually. I figured it wouldn't be too hard to make a cube cake to look like a minecraft block. A thousand tiny fondant squares later and I've changed my mind!

First I made the word Minecraft out of fondant.



Then came the cake. It's a vanilla sponge baked in a square tin and covered in chocolate icing. Then it's covered in nearly a thousand brown, grey and green squares. A square cutter is a must if you attempt to make this cake, I couldn't imagine making the squares by hand!



Finally I made a little TNT cake out of the offcuts from the big square cake. This was for the special candle. I bought an 'indoor firework' ( I think that's what it was called ) to resemble the TNT exploding. You can get them from the place at the supermarket where the rest of the birthday candles are kept. They look a bit dangerous so we kept our distance, no blowing out this candle!







No comments:

Post a Comment